Wednesday, September 14, 2011

First Post!

Today, the first issue of DC Comics' new series Demon Knights by Paul Cornell and Diogenes Neves arrives in a comic book store near you! (That is, unless you live in the boonies like myself, in which it arrives tomorrow, or maybe Friday if UPS screws up again.)

And with this new series, the internets demand that a blog appear, with which to provide you, the intrepid internet user and comic book fan, with news and information specifically regarding said series.

First, a little about myself. My name, er, internet handle, is profzoom. I've been reading comics since I was 11, and have been active in internet comic fandom since shortly thereafter. I've been a regular poster in various Usenet newsgroups and website forums, webmaster of a Flash-related website in the late 90s, and administrator at the DC Comics Database.

However, throughout all this fandom and internetting, I had never once read a comic book or written a post or article about one Demon, Etrigan the or Blood, Jason.

Why, then, would I choose to blog about this yellow-skinned Kirby creation? On one hand, my favorite character is already taken. But on the other, this title sounds really freakin' cool.

As a kid, I used to love to play with Castle Legos and dreamed of what life would have been like in the Middle Ages. I read lots of children's fantasy, from Baum to Lewis to Alexander and eventually graduating to Tolkein. In the past month, I've been reintroduced to this genre through Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, on which HBO's Game of Thrones is based. (Note that I haven't actually watched this yet -- I'm waiting until my fiancée and I finish reading the currently-published books.)

So a fantasy comic book set in the Middle Ages? In the DC Universe? Why on Earth would I miss this??

And thus, here we are.

So this blog will on one level serve to inform fans of Demon Knights of the basic news and information concerning the series. But at its core, it will be me sharing with you my journey as I discover these characters for the first time. I love the DC Universe, but I know very little about this corner of it. I can't wait to explore it!

In addition to talking about the new series, one of my main focuses will be returning to the original source material and learning about where these guys come from. First up, I'll be reading Kirby's original The Demon series. Look for that soon!

Finally, I want to get other fans involved. If you have anything you would like to see, let me know in the comments section! One thing that would be fun would be guest posts from other fans, describing their history as a fan of these characters. Let's share this space together!

No comments:

Post a Comment